Monday

Day 2, May 15, 1980

After getting up early in the morning, I went up to Coldwater Ridge Visitor Centre, set up by the United States Geological Survey(USGS). I also collected the permit I purchased online a few days ago from Jack's Restaurant and Store. There, I prepared for the climb next day with some other people to make a close-up look at the volcano. A brief glimpse early in the day shows hardly a steam plume; then the clouds drop a curtain. I sit there, watching overtures of alternating cloud and sun, raindrops and rainbows. The curtain over the mountain never lifts.

I am starting to wonder what will happen if the already-active sleeping beauty started to erupt during my climb. Although there is a certain risk and danger of this trip, I will risk my life for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have a close-up look at the volcano.


Diagram - How the volcano was formed

Later throughout the day, there was no direct sign of eruption, except for some small earthquake-induced avalanche of rocks and ashes. At the end of the day, a total of 174 shocks of magnitude 2.6 or greater were recorded, according to the statistics from the visitor centre.

No comments: