Monday

Day 7, May 20, 1980

Forces from 911 Rescue began to arrive, despite many roads being blocked by collapsed buildings and bridges due to the blast in the eruption. It was time for me to returnto Singapore, to make a report on how the Fuji of America, without any warnings, erupted so vigorously and had caused such a large scale of unimaginable damages.

As the operations in the nearby airports were affected by the ash blew out from Mount St Helens, I had to travel further away on land before taking a plane from Portland International Airport. Finally, I went home, with my mission accomplished.

I witnessed the eruption of the sleeping beauty, and understood how fragile a human is while he stands before the nature. Though it was a very meaningful and precious experience, I think I would never do this again. Once is enough. This time I was lucky, having escaped from the deadly mudflows. No one could be sure that I would be so fortunate again the next time.


This is how the volcano St Helens looks like after the eruption

No comments: